‘Walk of Shame’ Mayor on Drug Watchlist

The mayor of Tanauan City who initiated a “walk of shame” for suspected drug pushers is now among the watchlist of “Oplan Tokhang.”
 
Superintendent Robert Baesa, Tanauan police chief, visited Mayor Antonio Halili at his office on Thursday to ask him to sign a document given to drug surrenderees.

 
“Nagulat ako nung basahin ko ang dokumento, naka-saad doon na inaamin ko na involved ako sa drugs at nangangakong ititigil ko na ang ilegal na gawain (I was surprised when I read the document, which stated that I am admitting that I am involved in the illegal drug trade and I promise to stop my illegal activities),” Halili said.

“This is outrageous.Bakit ako napasama sa lista-han ng Oplan Tokhang samantalang ako nga ang nagungunang lumalaban sa illegal drugs (Why am I included on the list of Oplan Tokhang when I am leading the campaign against illegal drugs)?” he added.

According to Senior Superintendent Leopoldo Cabanag, Batangas police director, intelligence reports show that Halili was “possibly involved” in the illegal drug trade.

Halili said the allegations are politically motivated. He said a retired police officer whom he defeated in the elections could be behind it.

Suspected drug pushers and users in Tanauan City were paraded around the city while bearing a sign that reads ”Ako’y pusher, wag ako tularan (I’m a pusher don’t emulate me) or with “Flores De Pusher” marked on their shirts.

Halili has vowed to continue the walk of shame, despite an investigation by the Commission on Human Rights, saying he wants to stop the proliferation of drugs in his city.

Source: Philippine Star

Share It To Your Friends!

Share to Facebook

Loading...