Senator De Lima Filing Cases vs. President Duterte


Senator Leila De Lima is filing a writ of amparo and writ of habeas data against President Rodrigo Duterte, calling it a test case for his immunity from suit.

"I'm going to file a test case. May mga pagkakataon na hindi pwedeng i-invoke ang presidential immunity from suit," De Lima said.

[Translation: I am going to file a test case. There are instances the president cannot invoke his immunity from suit.]



"Ito ang pagkakataon na ma-test natin ang [This is the time to test the] doctrine of presidential immunity from suit," she said, citing there is abuse of power by the president.

De Lima is also filing cases as a host of other cases before the Ombudsman, which include violations of the anti-graft code and code of conduct of public officials, prohibition, disbarment and civil action for damages.

"Siyempre kailangan ko rin ng hustisya — justice sa mga kasinungalingan, sa sobrang panggigipit sa akin... I do need, and I cry for justice,' the lady senator said.

[Translation: Of course I need justice — justice for all the lies told against me, the harassment. I do need and I cry for justice.]

To protect her right to security and privacy, De Lima said she will file the cases before the Supreme Court next week, instead of filing this week as she initially planned.

De Lima declined to name all the people she would file these suits against, stating that her legal moves will be defensive and offensive. She also refused to discuss all her legal plans so they cannot prepare for her next actions.

She admitted this would require massive legal work. "Ang nakaka-constrain lang aking time... Tsaka resources. Wala naman akong pera para sa legal defense," she said.



Source / Image: CNN Philippines


Share It To Your Friends!

Share to Facebook

Loading...