President Rodrigo Duterte has vowed to resign once the country adopts federal form of government in two to three years.

“If these guys can hammer out... itong hinihingi ng ating mga kababayang Muslim na federal [government], if you can finish it in 3 years or 2 years, I will go. I will resign,” Duterte said during the mass oath taking of newly appointed officials in MalacaƱang Tuesday, October 11.
“You have my assurance; you gave my word of honor. I do not want to stay any longer. Kung ‘di ako kailangan, I will resign,” Duterte added.
While adoption of the federal form of government is still in process, the president said he will focus on solving the country's problem on illegal drugs first “because ‘pag hiniyaan ko, it will destroy the next generation.”
During Duterte's first State of the Nation Address, the president has already expressed his willingness to resign from presidency if a federal form of government gets adopted by the country.
On another occasion, during an event with the League of Cities and Provinces in July, Duterte reiterated that he will offer to resign should the country adopt a federal form of government.
The chief executive explained: “If they can shorten the proceedings, you have a Constitution that is federal in 2 or 3 years, then you have to elect a president. Of course, that would automatically legally [mean] hindi na ako p'wede [I will have to be replaced], so I will offer to resign.”
The House Committee on Constitutional Amendments earlier today has started deliberations on charter change proposals to change the unitary form of government to a federal one.
The deliberations earlier had to be cut short when congressmen Prospero Pichay Jr. and Robert "Ace" Barbers almost got into a fistfight.
Source / Image: Manila Bulletin
Share It To Your Friends!
