President Eyes Malaysia Visit to Address Piracy

President Duterte announced the other day that he would visit Malaysia to discuss maritime security, particularly the issue of piracy.

 

The Chief Executive made the announcement in a press conference in Davao City upon arrival from his three-day official visit to Japan.


“After this, I have to talk to … Malaysia. I am going there to complete the tour because those are the only countries that would really matter to me,” Duterte said.


So far, the President had also visited Laos, Indonesia, Vietnam, Brunei, and China.


“Malaysia because we have the Malacca Strait, we have this piracy going on every now and then. It puts to shame everybody,” he said.


“It’s high time that I talk to … Prime Minister Najib (Razak). We have to do something about it,” Duterte added.


The Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia share maritime borders hit by a spate of attacks particularly by members of the militant Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG).


And so, Duterte said he also needed to to talk to Malaysia about the issue.


“I don’t know their standard of justice but Indonesia and Philippines more or less mga hardliner kami sa ganun. Anything that is really out of this world that creates an outrage in human being. Hindi naman tayo nagkulang sa ating spirituality, morality, but enough is enough,” he said.


“And walang sisihan dito ha because ang proposed ko talaga ganun din (There is no finger pointing here; we’re proposing the same thing). So it’s the ultimate. Why would I waste (time) chasing you, I’ll just blow you (to pieces),” the President continued.


During his state visit to Indonesia last September, the President also raised the issue of piracy in waters bordering the three Southeast Asian nations in his meeting with President Joko Widodo.

Share It To Your Friends!

Share to Facebook

Loading...