Senator Leila De Lima has apologized for her outburst and walkout Monday night when she stormed out of the Senate hearing on alleged extrajudicial killings related to President Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs.

“I wish to apologize for the outrage last night and the walkout. But I’m addressing po itong [this] apology kong ito sa publiko kasi naghihintay din po ako ng apology sa mga kasamahan ko [to the public because I am still waiting for the apology of my colleagues],” De Lima said Tuesday.
De Lima explained that she walked out because she was hurt by the accusations thrown at her by her colleagues during Monday hearing of the Senate committee on justice and human rights.
“Masyado pong masakit [at] hindi katanggap-tanggap yung inaakusahan ka ng mga bagay na hindi mo naman ginawa o ginagawa,” she said.
[Being accused of things you are not guilty of is too painful and is unacceptable.]
The senator also walked out on Semptember 19 hearing when Senator Alan Peter Cayetano delivered his privilege speech agaist the probe being conducted by the committee, which De Lima previously headed.
She said she walked out on thos two occasions for no reason.
“That’s my best expression of protests. My best way of expression, of expressing my protests of the things happening. Hindi ko na po nagustuhan [I was no longer enjoying it]. I was being ganged up [on]. Hindi na nila ako pinapakinggan [They’re no longer listening to me] so what’s the point of staying there? To be further crucified by them? I was clearly outnumbered,” the lady senator said.
None of her colleagues has apologized to De Lima until now.
“And my apology now ay sa publiko po [is for the public]. Pasensya na po kayo doon sa outburst ko, sa pag walk out ako [Please pardon my outburst, my walking out. Hangga’t maari hindi po talaga dapat yan ginagawa (That must be avoided as much as possible),” De Lima said.
“Pero humihingi rin po ako ng paumanhin, humihingi po ako ng pang-unawa na wala na po akong ibang choice kagabi . It’s too much already,” she said.
[But I also ask for understanding, I had no choice last night.]
“I still have my self-respect and self-esteem notwithstanding all the things, cruel things that are being done to me by the members of the House [of Representatives], some members of the Senate, and then yung mga [their] cohorts nila sa labas, yung mga operators na yan [outside, the operators], yung mga nag-ga-gather ng [those who are gathering] fabricated ng evidence na yan,” she added.
Source / Image: Inquirer
Share It To Your Friends!
