Duterte Rallies Troops to Support Peace with Reds

President Rodrigo Duterte appealed to soldiers for understanding as he continues to engage the Reds in a bid to end the long-running communist insurgency in the country.

“Alam ko na masakit sa loob (ninyo), iyong iba… iyong ceasefire ngayon… You know, we have to somehow end this war. This has been going on for 45 years. Do you mean to say another 45 years tayo?” Duterte told soldiers of the Northern Luzon Command at Camp Servillano Aquino in San Miguel, Tarlac City on Sunday, December 11.





“Iyong iba na matagal na sa serbisyo, alam ko masakit sa inyo iyan. But you have to understand me and the rest of the Filipino people.”

He noted that in dealing with the communist insurgency that has dragged on for 45 years, the government forces are fighting against their fellow Filipinos.

“Sana magkaroon kayo ng pagtingin sa akin. I’m not a communist. I am not… I am just a Filipino… I’m just doing it for the sake of my country.

Focus on Mindanao

As he asked for patience in dealing with the communists, Duterte told the troops to concentrate on the conflict in Mindanao.

“Iyong sa Mindanao, talagang tingin ko lalo na iyong Basilan pati Sulu, It’s either really we have to fight it out for another long time. I really do not know.”

But he warned that “terrorism is coming in our way, whether we like it or not.”

“The (Muslim militants in Mindanao) pretend or they are already maybe already connected to ISIS,” Duterte said.

And as operations against the Islamic State in their occupied territories in the Middle East continue, he said terrorists may flee to Mindanao and other areas in the region such as Malaysia and Indonesia.

Duterte admitted that many of the Moro people in Mindanao are not sympathetic to the government so there is danger that they might join the ISIS. “So that’s one thing. Let us just concentrate on one front.”

With the threat of terrorism in the horizon, the president said he cannot give a timetable when peace in Mindanao can finally be achieved. “I hope we’d have a peaceful Christmas. Sa Jolo, Basilan, well, I don’t know. But I cannot even project a timeline there when we can have peace. I’ll have to continue fighting and might call on you again.”

Commander’s support

Meanwhile, the president praised the troops as he reiterated his full support to both military and the police.

“Let me tell you now that with gratitude ang Filipino people. I know. I’m on the ground. Happy ang Pilipino sa inyo and I’m more than satisfied by your performance,” he said.

Duterte also once again assured government forces that he will assume full responsibility for whatever they do in the performance of their duty.

“That is how I will guarantee you, basta mag-trabaho kayo,” he said, adding that the military and the police can “forget” their fears about having cases. “Just do your duty.”






The post Duterte Rallies Troops to Support Peace with Reds appeared first on Manila Bulletin.

Share It To Your Friends!

Share to Facebook

Loading...