Was former President Aquino remiss in his job in addressing the drug problem during his six-year term?
As the government struggles to resolve the severe and widespread drug problem, President Rodrigo Duterte said his predecessor “did not know or never attempted to know” the gravity of the menace during his term.
“My countrymen, remember that I entered the presidency midterm. And so I am now operating on a budget that was prepared the other year by President Aquino,” the President said during a visit to the National Bureau of Investigation headquarters in Manila.
The president issued the statement after hitting back at the “stupidity” of some foreign governments criticizing him for not focusing on setting up more drug rehabilitation facilities. Duterte said his critics’ observation was “correct if you have the money.”
In his speech, the president said the drug operations have become a P215-billion annual industry in a country with more three million hooked on illegal drugs.
The president blamed the involvement of thousands of government officials as to why the country’s “serious” drug problem grew worse.
“You, yourselves, you are the agents, some of the agents of this bureau testified against her. Most of them were credible and I don’t know them actually,” he said. “So there’s no sense in saying that I have a part of it. You know that.”
The post For Duterte, Aquino Ignored the Drug Problem appeared first on Manila Bulletin
Share It To Your Friends!
Loading...

