I Will Wait for Official Report on Dispersal of Protesters- Duterte

BEIJING, China — President Duterte has refused to start the “blame game” and instead wait for the official report on the violent dispersal of protesters outside the US Embassy in Manila.




“I am not going into the blame-game as a start,” the President told reporters here.

The President said he would still “investigate” and get the assessment from Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, the Philippine National Police and the Department of Interior and Local Government.

“I’ll have to make calls tonight. But just to be very sure that I do not commit or I do not stray along other side issues,” he said.

“I would also want to hear the report of the Executive Secretary who takes care of our government while we are away here,” he added.

Duterte said he has seen a video showing a police van ramming protesters outside the US embassy in Manila but declined to make any prejudgment.

Pending the investigation, the President asserted the government is bound by international rules on the protection of people including those inside foreign embassies.

“Whether it is a friendly of a not so friendly embassy all over the world, we are bound by international rules and that we have to allow the establishment of embassies especially if you have citizens in that country to protect,” he said.

He said he has already given his orders to the police to implement a maximum tolerance policy during street demonstrations.

“I said early on: if you want to demonstrate tell me. I’ll give you a permit for one week just do not invade the Constitutional orders of the right also to use the streets and be safe,” he said.


The post I Will Wait for Official Report on Dispersal of Protesters- Duterte appeared first on Manila Bulletin

Share It To Your Friends!

Share to Facebook

Loading...