Duterte Sets Deadline For ‘Foreign Troops-Free’ Philippines


TOKYO — In two years, there will no longer be foreign military troops in the Philippines upon the orders of President Rodrigo Duterte.





In line with decision to chart an independent foreign policy, the President said he wants foreign soldiers “out” of the Philippines, even threatening to rescind a defense deal that expanded US military presence in the country.

“I have declared that I will pursue an independent foreign policy.

I want, maybe, in the next two years, my country free of the presence of foreign military troops. I want them out even if I have to revise or abrogate agreements, executive agreements,” the President said during a business forum in Tokyo.




“This will be the last maneuver, war games between the United States and the Philippines military,” the President said in his latest broadside against the country’s longtime western ally.

A fuming President hit back at the United States for treating the country “like a dog with a leash” to follow its every whim.

He asserted that the country will “survive” even without US assistance. He said the United States is a “great country” and helped the country “in so many ways in the past” but treated the Filipinos unfairly too.




The post Duterte Sets Deadline For ‘Foreign Troops-Free’ Philippines appeared first on Manila Bulletin

Share It To Your Friends!

Share to Facebook

Loading...